FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Meritage Resort Provides Couples Opportunities for Green Weddings
Couples Express their Passion for the Environment with Eco-Friendly Vows
Napa, CA —October 15, 2009—Napa, Calif- To further the Meritage Resort and Spa’s commitment to the environment, the resort has launched a new set of eco-friendly wedding package preferences for couples planning to tie the knot. In committing to the eco-consciousness of many prospective brides and grooms, the resort now offers green choices for cost-effective, healthy, and creative ways to respect Mother Earth while enjoying their special day.
A typical wedding reception meal for 100 guests requires hundreds of plates, glasses and cloth napkins to be washed, which translates into thousands of gallons of water used to wash them. The Meritage offers brides a solution to forgo the formal plates and linens and opt instead for chic picnic-style meals using materials that are not destined to clog landfills. The Meritage also encourages couples to use biodegradable silverware, green ware cups and plates, even napkins made from recyclable material.
The Meritage Resort caters weddings with organic, farm-fresh ingredients which are local to Northern California. This eliminates emission from trucking in food from far away. In addition this allows the Meritage to reinvest in the local community. Executive Chef Laurent Berthon combines freshness and simplicity with menu items incorporating local ingredients like the finest, freshest cheeses from Mendocino, Sonoma and Humboldt, as well as honeycomb from Santa Rosa. The Chef uses only fresh herbs for all wedding dishes. Brides and grooms can even choose to serve organic wines from wineries like Grigich, Benziger and Frog’s Leap for guests.
Other green initiatives include a partnership with Napa County Recycling and Waste Services to implement a strong recycling program at the resort. Employees have been educated on recycling guidelines, and recycling bins are now located next to every trash can on the premises—including guest rooms. The Meritage has also replaced all paper products with recycled paper, including Kleenex, toilet paper and paper towels.
“The Meritage Resort and Spa is committed to preserving the beautiful environment we cherish in Napa each day,” said Wedding and Special Event Director Lisa Crowell. “We encourage our wedding guests to start their lifelong commitment to the enivornment with their special day.”
The Meritage also offers a comprehensive list of other recommendations to all wedding parties to plan and implement the most eco-friendly wedding possible. The resort is dedicated to accommodating the wedding party’s environmental efforts.
- Wedding ceremonies and receptions can be held in the Estate Cave, deep within the belly of Mother Earth.
- Soy or beeswax candles can be used to illuminate the Estate Cave or other areas used for ceremonies or receptions.
- Guest favors designed with recycled paper such as recycled handmade paper bookmarks with wildflower seeds which can later be planted.
- Wedding dresses made from eco-friendly material like organic silk or hemp.
- Rings made from Green Karat or other eco-friendly materials.
- Flowers provided by local Farmers’ Markets, or potted plants can be used in place of cut flowers for centerpieces.
- After the wedding, the bride and groom can donate extra food to local food banks.
- Recycled materials can be used for invitations, napkins, menus, etc. made from 100% PCW recycled material without chlorine.
- Invitations are available that have seeds embedded in the paper so guests can plant the invitations and enjoy the flowers that grow from them. The plants are symbolic of their green relationship and lifelong commitment.
- Couples can request that guests donate to selected environmental charities in lieu of wedding gifts.
The Meritage Resort
Built on an eleven-acre private vineyard, The Meritage Resort and Spa is located in the Southern tip of the Napa Valley and offers an experience like no other for wine enthusiasts, business travelers, spa guests and special events. The resort exudes elegance from the welcome bottle of wine at check-in, gourmet cuisine at on-site Siena restaurant, Trinitas tasting room in the Estate Cave, Tuscan-inspired guest rooms, suites and luxurious wine estate cave. Stay uniquely in Napa Valley at the Meritage.
For all press inquiries for The Meritage Resort, Siena or Spa Terra, please contact Andrew Bradley, Marketing and Communications Manager at email@example.com or 707.251.1942.